Friday, September 16, 2005

Meetings 2

Oh look, it's the same as the earlier one, but in a much posher surrounding. Marble walls and unicorns or something. I dunno, write your own.

Much more interesting, is the recent compilation of nomenclatures from Cornish censuses stretching back to the 16th century. If I was writing the kind of children's book that required oh-so-hilarious names, I would be jealously hoarding this intel as though it were a chest o' precious gems. But I'm not, so here are my favourites, in no particular order:

Abraham Thunderwolff
Freke Dorothy Fluck Lane
Elizabeth Disco
Edward Evil
Offspring Gurney

and finally,

Gentle Fudge

The Falmouth Packet titled this gorgeous slice of gorgeousness, with the same sensibility that brought the world 'The Bushes: What's Going In Them' , 'Really Strange Cornish Names'. And I can't bring myself to argue.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Impressive. Now we know where celebritues get ideas for their childrens names...

patroclus said...

Ohhhh, I love this. We've been building up a fabulous collection of hilarious (and very real) names in the office here. Not sure if I should mention any because some of them are clients - might email them to you though.

surly girl said...

ooh, ooh, we do this with our loyalty club members...again, data protection and all that, but some classics....

surly girl said...

it's not nearly as funny when you have no idea what i'm talking about, is it?

hum.

patroclus said...

What *was* going on in the bushes?

Work: Why Aren't I Doing Any?

Anonymous said...

I love "Offspring" - it has that sense of having run out of steam - the 27th child in the family perhaps?

Lizzy Disco - she's straight out of a Jaqueline Wilson novel, surely?!

Anonymous said...

Oh, genius! Abraham Thunderwolff was surely named by some 16th century clairvoyant who foresaw the coming of World of Warcraft.
Also, I'm reminded that we used to have a customer who rejoiced in the name Silke Panse. Titter? We surely did.

BiScUiTs said...

Haha Elizabeth Disco sounds groovy.

Unknown said...

I liked Philadelphia Bunnyface best in fact, but you have callously ignored her charms. This from the above's mother, also a writer.

James Henry said...

Bonjour Igo's mum.

Now "Philadelphia Bunnyface" is a good name. I used to go to school with someone called Abbey Squib, which was pretty good, and once met a girl called Topaz Dent, which was better.